For this week’s one concept idea I chose language and culture. People in differing cultures speak different languages. It is a difficulty mankind has struggled with since we created language. It has separated us as one species. Aside from that fact, language both verbal and nonverbal language is different throughout each culture. Certain words in one language may not translate correctly or at all.
I watch a lot of foreign films. I notice with the films when they are speaking Spanish some of the words they are saying are not translated 100% true or at all. I do not speak fluent Spanish but I know enough to understand quit a bit. Or when films have a song or chant, the subtitles may not even be produced for those scenes. Translations from one language to another, to another, to another can be a challenge and dangerous in some situations. It is like the telephone game effect, but add a completely different language and the entire message could be altered completely. You cannot translate language without error or missing information. This is one of the reasons I find learning new words, and language so intriguing.
Hi Comm Rocker
ReplyDeleteI liked the concept that you discussed. I find learning a new language to be a challenge and frustrating at times. Language is very different throughout cultures and like you pointed out, it is both verbal and nonverbal language that is aren’t always the same. At times I think that nonverbal language can be more challenging, especially if you are in another culture and if you don’t understand the language you can try to tell them that you don’t speak the same language. However with nonverbal language, some of your actions or facial expressions can be offensive or rude to people. Smiling is a big thing for some cultures and it can be hard to know which cultures take offensive to smiling. You also said that certain words in one language may not translate correctly and I have experienced that before when talking with someone of a different language and trying to learn new words. Great concept that you talked about.
Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteI like your selection because your example of foreign films is relatable. I watch my share of foreign films as well and have seen many of the issues you point out. Particularly with songs, if it is important enough to have in the film than we are missing an important aspect right? Songs and chants are used in American films and have great importance in most cases. In an even larger picture, I believe your post speaks volumes to the importance of intercultural communication and the idea that we are living in the "global village." On page 330 in chapter 12 of our text it discuses how the world in continually shrinking as technology has changed our previous idea of time and space. Our similar interest in foreign films is a great example of this. We can log on to Netflix or other services on the web and become introduced to any cultural language film of our choosing.
-JPP
Hi Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your concept on language and culture. I like the way you made a connection with foreign films to your concept. Although, I am blessed to be bilingual, I still find it hard to separate some of my grammar between English and Chinese. Being able to learn another language can be very useful. I find myself being able to express certain words that may not be available in English. For example, in Chinese, there is term " jia you" which translates exactly, "add oil". Many people may be confused when I say that in English. But it's a Chinese saying when we want to cheer for someone, typically during finals, we say "jia you" to a fellow student to help them study harder. Besides languages, there are also certain gestures in some cultures that may be useful as well. So all in all, learning languages and cultures can simply fill in gaps of communication that you were never able to express before! :)
I too wrote about culture and how language separates countries. I also wrote about other factors that really separate cultures from getting along or communicating. I thought it was interesting how you compared your thoughts and used foreign films to back up your points. I am not a huge foreign films fan, but I do sometimes find them interesting to watch and believe that they have a lot of meaning behind them. I myself am not bilingual. I can sometimes though pick out words when I hear someone speaking Spanish and somewhat figure out what they are saying or talking about. Because I have learned a lot about nonverbal, I tend to find it easier to find out what someone is saying or feeling by watching their gestures then listen to their language. Great post!
ReplyDelete