Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Week 3/19-3/25: Intercultural Comm.: Part 1

Ruth Benedict believes our cultures are handed down to us from generation to generation, and we, as humans, are “creatures” of that behavior. I believed to an extent this is true. If you take one part of the world for example and dissect how they are brought up, it may be easier to analyze. China has a huge cultural following of religion, attending pagodas, meditating, and even the ritual of eating. If we look back 100 years, we can confidently say it is different than it is now, but there are very similar rituals as well. If we grow up with that mentality we will have grown to make certain habits, beliefs, and impossibilities. Now if we jump to Saudi Arabia, those people who grew up there are a creature of those beliefs and habits as well.

In an individual sense, we have the ability to make changes of those habits, beliefs, and impossibilities if the individual practices enough. It is as if you see a characteristic of yourself, you need to practice to make those changes with every conflict and situation.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Comm Rocker! I agreed with a lot of what you talked about in this post. I loved your example of China, and how its cultural practices are very strict, and have changed over the years. I think that it was a good thing that you pointed out how cultural traditions and behaviors differ from country to country. I also think that we need to look at our individual selves to consider how we can change some of our own behaviors, and I liked that you reminded all of your readers that any change requires a certain amount of practice and time. Nothing happens overnight. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with a lot of the things that you said in this post and said some of the same things myself in my own post. I liked the example that you brought up about China especially and said that if we look back 100 years and then back at today they would not be the same at all but some of the things about it like rituals and stuff have been carried along the way down the road so present day. I also liked that you said that individuals have the ability to change habits and beliefs if they work at it.

    ReplyDelete