Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 2/27-3/4: Decoding Messages: Part 3

I found this week’s reading very motivating and stimulating as a communication major. The topic and concept of immediate language are both powerful and effective. This concept is using personalized language to describe to an impersonal audience their importance of a public matter or topic. The textbook gave a wonderful example of a past presidential speech given by Ronald Regan. He used words in his speech such as “presidency belongs to you”, “you right”, “you so honored me”, to describe how the mass public should reelect him into a second term of the presidential chair. It is a powerful way to make the people feel important and transfers the president’s power into the people’s hands.

This immediate language can also be used to assist in a time of conflict. I worked as a shift manager at a high-end day spa. Many people react to me saying I worked there with statements like, “It must have been so relaxing” and “You are so lucky to have had a job like that.” Although it was true at times, It was probably the most stressful job I have ever had. The customers are at a vulnerable state when entering an appointment. They are basically naked and ready to let a stranger massage their face and/or body. There were many complaints to the manager, me. The easiest way to calm someone down was to use immediate language. I would put the power of the solution in their hands. I would ask them, “How would you like this to be resolved?”, and “What would make you happy in this situation?” In almost every case the customer walked out happy, and a few times even bought a membership at the end of our conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment