Saturday, March 10, 2012

Week 3/5-3/11: Encoding Messages: Part 2

Nonverbal displays in other countries can be difficult to know and understand. I would like to focus on the hand gestures as we all make them, but in other countries can mean VERY different things. The hand gesture for a- okay in North America means everything is alright, however, in parts of Europe and South America can be offensive. The rock-on hand gesture in North American means, “Your wife is unfaithful” in The Baltics, Brazil, Colombia, Italy, Portugal, and Spain. Although we may not think something is offensive or even means something one must be aware of nonverbal hand gestures in other countries.

I have not moved around in other countries, but I have visited a few. When I was preparing for my journey in Vietnam and Cambodia I read all the travel guides and books. I noticed in a few of the books they referenced public affection was looked down upon. Since I was visiting with my boyfriend, holding hands and even a little kiss on the cheek was controversial. Since we are Caucasian, tourists are not held to this negative behavior as much as the locals. We made ourselves aware, so we did not offend anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment