I absolutely agree that men and women communicate and use language differently as the book agrees as well due to evidence. Women use details terms, evaluative adjectives, and tend to disclose more about themselves. Men initiate more conversations, discuss more pubic topics, and use more delayed minimal responses when talking to woman. In understanding and studying these scientific facts, it highlights the importance of having time to communicate with same sex friends.
In heterosexual romantic relationships, men and women tend to seclude themselves from their same sex friends. Women tend to avoid or not have enough time for their “girl time”, but men usually do not react in this way as often. It is important to exercise language and communication with someone that understands you. To avoid these relationships could be damaging to your intrapersonal and interpersonal communication skills.
I live with my boyfriend, and have been together for four years. I enjoy spending time with him and his friends, but I also find a sense of enjoyment and relaxation when I have my “girl time” with either my sister or friends because the communication is easy and fluid.
Hi Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteI can both relate to your post and agree. First I want to say that I like the fact that you point out that men initiate conversations but speak more about public topics. eg. weather, sports, and news.. Conversely women speak on a deeper level. These facts do emphasize the importance of same sex friends. I have been in various relationships and I realize that men and women need to make time to spend with their friends. Encouraging this with your better half will not only help to provide for the emotional support needed but will also keep the relationship fresh. There is nothing worse than having nothing to talk about because you spend all of your time together. I hope more people read this and take a lesson from you :)
-JPP
I definitely agree with what you said about the way men and women communicate. I have also lived with a boyfriend before and it is really nice, but at the same time, hanging out with girlfriends becomes even more important. I also have a lot of male friends, who I enjoy hanging out with, but sometimes they just don’t understand. For example, if I am dealing with a lot of emotional stress, my female friends tend to be better at comforting me. Not to discredit my male friends, but I think females just have a better understanding of how we think and feel.
ReplyDelete