I am not a religious person, so to read in our textbook that history has shown a declination of rhetorical study due to the rise of Christianity saddens me. Science and rational thought were suppressed because religion bestowed itself upon us. I try to imagine how the world may have been different if this were not true in all of our history. We should strive to be successful and communicate thoroughly with others. This was not the case with the fall of the great Roman Empire.
During 354-430, there were preachers who believed that natural signs in our minds were real. If we thought love and linking this thought to the color red was a thought created by God. If we rationally thought about this method now, we would laugh because we know this is erroneous.
It is important to read history and understand where our knowledge once was. This is important because it can show us in a few more hundred years that we can become more knowledgeable. People in the future may laugh at us because we thought aliens created our world, and that two of each species could fit on a boat.
As soon as I read your first two line I have to say thank you and I completely agree with you that "Science and rational thought were suppressed because religion bestowed itself upon us." I also wonder about the lost potential who were silenced or killed because of their scientific beliefs. Anyways I also agree with you that it is important that we study the past and learn and grow from our choices. Communication is such an important building block in everything you need it to work with others and yourself. I think the most important thing is to keep moving forward to keep being curious, because when your satisfied you don't change.
ReplyDelete