I have definitely been influenced by a speaker. There have been motivational type speakers, school speakers, graduation speakers, and others. The speaker that has been most influential was a teacher at West Valley Community College, Mike Burke. He teaches the Human Relations course, and has made one of the biggest impacts on my life. He speaks clear, concise, direct, boldly and makes people feel important. The term he used for making people feel important was being a “people artist”. We can all become this, but it takes practice and a conscious mind to do so.
The worst speaker was a Blue Shield of California representative that was scheduled for an insurance webinar. There were many insurance brokers and clients on this particular call, so the pressure was on. This man stuttered, spoke with a soft voice, and had numerous technical errors. The speaker and the presentation were so bad, I decided to end the call and wait for the PowerPoint to be sent. To be honest, I do not remember much of that call, except it had to do with employers putting premiums on employee’s W-2s.
I hate watching a train wreck speech they always make me turn away! I hate watching people embarrass themselves, even movies can make me uncomfortable. If I have to give a speech I like to use a Powerpoint presentation because it helps me stay organized. My main problem with public speaking is forgetting my main points and I would rather not use a note card. Wow the speech must have been bad if you cannot recall it except his problem areas! Stuttering is the worst because once you start it is hard to stop or move pass the problem word.
ReplyDeletePublic speaking is an important skill to be trained, if I was a terrible speaker than I would take classes because it is affecting his job.