When discussing communication there are numerous types of models that have been founded. In Chapter two of our textbook, it discusses four vastly different perspectives. The social constructionist perspective focuses and views communication as a process of world building (Trenholm, p. 24). In this perspective we build our worlds through their surroundings and the groups’ ideas- mostly through culture. Also, in this model four basic cultural tools are utilized to mold the reality we create. The bottom line of the social constructionist model is people do not come from our experiences but rather through communicate directed at us.
An idea we discuss in American culture that may not exist in many others is the problem of obesity. There are starving countries all around the globe yet Americans have a problem or overeating. We have signs in our restaurants and advertisements pointing to the gluttony in America, Chris' Outrageous Chocolate Cake at the Cheesecake Factory, and Outback’s Chocolate Thunder from Down Under.
The concept of the American culture being drowned in food is hurting us. We cannot see past our own disgusting overweight lives to understand many people are suffering in the world. If communication creates individuals like the social constructionist perspective states, than we are creating a blinded reality. It is the norm in most of the U.S. to eat as much as possible and even chuckle at the idea of walking on a treadmill or eating a leafy salad.
Comm Rocker-105P
Hey Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea you discussed about what our culture has that other cultures do not have. Obesity is something that is pretty much only in America. I can honestly say that I have never heard of any other country having this problem. When you go out to eat at restaurants in America, the amount of food on your plate is huge. While we think it is a normal amount, if you went to Europe, you would get a much less amount of food on your plate. Americans are able to eat the whole plate of food, and feel extremely full afterwards, while other cultures are able to snack all day long on smaller portions. I loved reading your post, great job!
I thought your example of social constructionist was extremely interesting, and I would have never thought to discuss the problem of American culture being drowned in food. I think that when most people read this discussion question, they thought of the main debate topics present in our world- abortion, same sex marriage, the death penalty, etc. But it is also important to realize that the things we consider “normal”, like the gluttony in our restaurants, are actually hurting us as a country. I also agree that it is sad that the “norm” in our society is to eat as much as we possibly can, without regard to our health or the suffering around us. Our reality is definitely blinded, and it all relates back to our communication habits.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the above comment in terms of you choosing American obesity as an example of the social constructionist perspective. I honestly would not have picked that example simple because I would have never thought of it. It's a really good example because it's applicable to all of us and really emphasizes the perspective itself. This idea of culture building worlds is quite interesting. I think it's an intriguing concept to relate obesity to a world building, but I can see the idea that you are getting at. Through our perspective as Americans, the foods we consume and the portion sizes we intake seem relatively typical to us. We have created this perspective of food and how much we should be eating and how many delicious foods we should indulge in. To someone of another culture, our portion sizes or eating habits may seem outrageous or absurd. I found your post really interesting to read and a wonderful concept to relate us to.
ReplyDelete