Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Introductory Post

Hello Blog World,

My name is Selina Davis, but you will only know me as Comm Rocker since this was the alias I chose. I am 26 and have been chipping away at college-level school since 2003. I was a bit lost in the beginning of this journey, but I am charging full speed now.

I was a business major until about a few years ago. I took the required Public Speech class at West Valley, and the learning haunted me for years. The tools I learned in the speech class were used more in my everyday life and I noticed I may never use Microeconomics. Besides, with the communication basics, I had already felt a change in my attitude towards myself and others. The switch of my bachelor’s goal was effortless and I never looked back. I graduated at West Valley College with an AA in Communications, and transferred in the fall of 2011 at SJSU.

I am a dedicated student, full-time employee at a local insurance broker’s office, girlfriend, sister, and friend. Life can be hard to manage while balancing a
full load at SJSU, and work. Life actually seems like a difficult and stressful blur until the grades are posted. But it will be completely worth it once I receive the single most expensive piece of paper in the spring of 2013- my diploma.

Between school and work, I appreciate hiking, traveling, attending concerts, working out, cooking, and spending time with loved ones. I have a list of things I wish to accomplish in my lifetime such as:
1. Teaching English in a different country
2. Visiting some or all of the 7 Wonders of the World
3. Sing Karaoke in Japan
4. Take the Trans-Siberian Railway
5. Learn Spanish fluently

Good luck in the class everyone!

Cheers,
Selina Davis aka Comm Rocker

2 comments:

  1. Hey Comm Rocker,

    You might of blew your cover a bit! No big deal but do realize if you share some personal info it could be easily found with a google search of your name. But these days most everything is no longer private or confidential. I have a similar story with my college experience. I went to community college for 1 year in 2003 and then joined the military. It wasn't till after I got out of the Navy that I decided to go back to school and take it seriously. Further I was also a Business Major and switched to Comm because I enjoyed the learning process much more and I liked the fact that it was very practical. I think you understand exactly what higher education is about when you said, "Besides, with the communication basics, I had already felt a change in my attitude towards myself and others." College is mainly about growing as a person and I believe you have chose a well rounded Major that will allow you to stay very versatile in todays job market.

    -JPP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what you mean by, "You blew your cover," but this post was suppose to get a little personal. Enjoy the class!

      Delete