Thursday, May 10, 2012

Week 5/7-5/13: Methods of Discovery: Part 3

One concept I find many people do not get to experience in their lifetime is true culture shock. The term culture shock is tossed around in our verbal language when one describes a minor exposure to a culture other than their usual; however, this is not the correct way to express this serious concept. Culture shock is described by author Sarah Trenholm as an anxiety one experiences due to a loss of our familiar signs, symbols of our normal social intercourse (2011, pg. 340). We many feel at times we are adventurous and do not have a mundane lifestyle, but if you were to be placed in any other country this perspective would soon be exacerbated with fear. Two summers ago, I visited Vietnam and Cambodia with my current boyfriend. I was excited and nervous since I had only been out of the country once- Canada. We arrived and we were definitely not at home any longer. I was fine for the first 2 ½ weeks but as I became more exhausted of traveling, I became wary of further traveling. Although I was enjoying the new pace of life, the anxiety became more vivid. The food was malnourished, the beds were hard, and the heat was unbearable at times. A few times, I grew impatient and would cry in frustration. Once I reflected on all of these moments, I grasped that I was experiencing culture shock.

4 comments:

  1. Comm Rocker,
    I loved the topic you decided to discuss about culture shock. I completely forgot about this specific topic in Trenholm’s textbook. The example of you visiting Vietnam and Cambodia was perfect. It makes me think of the diversity we have here at SJSU and that more likely than not, most of the international or foreign students are going through culture shock. I haven’t personally experienced culture shock, but back in high school, I saw it quite frequently. Students would transfer to my public school from private school or even from a different public school and would be in complete culture shock because of the immense diversity and craziness that my high school offered. Great topic to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey comm rocker,

    I glad you chose culture shock as your topic of elaboration. Some people don't realize that cultural shock can be a big deal, especially to some people who are sensitive. For once, I have encountered a great deal of cultural shock when I was placed in foster care 10 years ago. I am Asian, and for the first time, I was living with a black family and it was very different (living standards wise) Like you, I was also, impatient, frustrated...and eventually cried almost every day that I was there. I felt very uncomfortable, and decided to go home the following week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that you chose this topic for your post. I think that you explained it really well in the sense that people do not understand the true meaning of culture shock when it comes down to it. I thought I did because I went to Mexico and nothing was the same as I was used to and I was just out of my element and thought I experienced that but then after reading on this topic this semester I am more aware of what the true meaning is and now know that what I wet through was not culture shock...just something I wasn't used to being around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Comm Rocker,
    It was interesting to read about your concept of culture shock, and to see how you related it to your own life. I love that you actually quoted the text book and the author in your post, because it helps me to remember the chapter, even though it seems like I read it so long ago! I also loved that you included an example from your own life, because that also helps the concept to stick with me. I think that culture shock is more common that I had initially realized, and it is actually something that I have experienced recently!

    ReplyDelete