Saturday, April 14, 2012
Week 4/9-4/15: Interpersonal Comm.: Part 2
The characteristics and behaviors the lead me to judge others as unattractive are usually the cognitive cues such as how their attitude is towards traveling, if they are a driven person in school, work and life. In my life the sociological and incidental cues are important. I never would engage or agree to a date if I knew the person lived too far away. I was not willing to have a living situation damper a relationship in the very beginning stages of getting to know another person. I had tried in the past to see if this would work, but after a few dates I knew this could not be a possible romantic partner. Initially the preinteraction cues are imperative. Many people say that beauty is not the main thing when they look for a partner, but if you are not physically attracted to a person then the relationship WILL fail. Duck’s theory makes complete sense, and I agree 100%. We go through a process of elimination in any dating scenario, and we do this to find our life partner and our friends. If someone does not interact with you smoothly and easily, one can predict this relationship will not go far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Comm Rocker, I absolutely agree with your post this week. I base a lot of my judgments off of attitude, especially in the dating world. I think that there are many different factors that can affect how we view someone as a possible romantic partner, and you listed some great ones. I like that you incorporated Duck’s theory into your post, because I also agree with it. Your example of the process of elimination was a good point also, because we often forget that dating is just practice to find out who we want to spend our lives with. I thought it was interesting how you pointed out that you would not date someone who lived far away, because that shows that you would not waste your time in a relationship that you did not feel would work out. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHello Comm Rocker, I liked a few things that you pointed out in your post. I agree that I would not be with someone that lived really far, because it will be difficult to make it work with hardly seeing each other. In my current relationship, my boyfriend lives about 30mins away, I do not believe that’s too far because we manage to make it work and see each other a few times out of the week. Even if he was close to me, I wouldn’t be able to see him every day because of how I’m really busy with work and school. I do agree that physical attraction is really important. It is not the most important thing because there are other things such as personality that plays important roles in a relationship. But it does play a role in maintaining a healthy relationship. Comm Rocker, I really enjoyed your reading! =)
ReplyDeleteHey Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteCharacteristics and behaviors are very important to me as well when I determine if someone is unattractive or not. Their beliefs on certain subjects can completely sway my view about them, for example I would consider a person unattractive if they smoke, since I do not. I also would not agree to date someone if they geographically lived extremely far away. I have experience a long distance relationship, which is definitely a difficult task, but I was with him prior to moving away. The location could make or break the decision to continue or start a relationship. Great job, Comm Rocker!