Saturday, April 28, 2012

Week 4/23-4/29: Comm & the Mass Media: Part 3

This chapter encompassed many interesting and eye-catching terms, but the one I would like to focus on is the broad idea and characteristics of media. Last semester I took a Communication and Media class, and it opened my perception of what we define media as, and how and where we interpret those messages. Charles Wright touches on the model of the four media functions which are surveillance, correlation, cultural transmission and entertainment (Trenholm, 2011, pg. 285). Although these are terrific points, they briefly talk about the hidden agenda media has. I find media’s communication to us extremely interesting as most people do not think about how the media misinterprets news articles, and purposefully exclude information to make particular victims’ and offenders’ stories appeal to the mass public. Children are usually the receivers of all media subliminal messages, I only use this word because their brains are not developed enough to comprehend what the meaning or the commercials are trying to say. Studies have shown children who watch more television and do not have a parent monitoring their television intake, are more likely to become obese in their adult life. Some of these statistical numbers could be from a non-participating parent, but much of it has to do with why they make the decision to eat a McDonald’s burger verses a salad- the media and those bright vivid commercials.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Comm Rocker,
    I liked your post this week about the broad idea and characteristics of media. I also took a media class, and it taught me a lot about messages and how we choose to interpret them. I love that you included a quote from the textbook about the four media functions, because it always helps me understand things better when I can relate them to the assigned weekly reading. It was interesting to read about children being the receivers of subliminal messages, according to the size of their brains and how they may not be able to comprehend what is really being said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Comm Rocker,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I think you did a great job on elaborating on the hidden agenda aspect when it comes to communication and mass media. I also agree that many of us do not realize the misguiding interpretations of news articles and lack of valid information the media presents us as the receivers. Moreover, I think you touch base on an important aspect in the rhetoric of communication and mass media when you point out some of the influences the media has on children such as obesity. Hence, I think children should be taught at an early age to be critical consumers of the shows or various means of mass media messages they consume. From personal experience, I remember growing up, my dad would educate me on “hidden” agendas or messages in various shows/ cartoons/ movies etc. Moreover, having that experience has truly helped me be a more mindful consumer and critical thinker.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete