Thursday, April 26, 2012
Week 4/23-4/29: Comm & the Mass Media: Part 1
I have never made a friendship or made any other relationship on cyberspace. I have definitely stayed in touch with a lot of friends and family that have moved out of the area. My mom lives in Oregon, my cousins and aunts live in Arizona, Idaho, Missouri, Tennessee, Nevada, and in other areas of California. It has allowed me to see what they are all up to, and if there is family events planned. I remember my cousin-to-be sent me a wedding pre-invite on Facebook. It was a way for her to gather everyone’s addresses she did not have, and see if anyone were not able to attend. At first I thought this was ridiculous, but then I figured she saved time and money in obtaining this information. I have not formed cyberspace relationships because I have all the friends I would like to have and more family than most people. It is difficult to find good friends, but finding friends on the internet seems odd to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Comm Rocker!
ReplyDeleteI'm very likeminded when it comes to this topic. I believe finding friends on the internet is very odd. I can understand making connection if you are in a very specific job field or hobby, however dating or befriending people exclusively online is not my gig. I mentioned on my post, maybe I'm just old fashioned when it comes to these things. I use the internet to keep updated with my friends and family because it is the easiest method to do so. I utilize social networks such as facebook exclusively for this purpose. My "wall" is closed off so no one can post anything because of the privacy issue I have. I use electronic means privately among the people I choose to stay connected with. The whole internet dating and friendship thing is just not my thing.
-Rob
I couldn’t agree with you more on the concept of finding friends on the internet. For me I just think they are impersonal and it doesn’t really involve interpersonal communication skills. I think you need to have a good level of interpersonal communication with people to sustain a relationship. At first I thought it would be strange to invite people to weddings on the internet. But with invite sites like evite and weddings.com, the internet makes it easier to do almost everything. It is odd that people become friends online because that typically is how you stay friends-over the computer. And like I said it seems very impersonal.
ReplyDeleteHey Comm Rocker,
ReplyDeleteMaking friendships via cyberspace isn't for everyone. Like a relationship, it takes two to tango and requires an extensive amount of effort on both end. Based on my experience, friendships via cyberspace tend to not last that long. I mean how many of us can say that we spend that much time online? Most of the time, we are on there to surf for what we need and then out we go on living our lives! However, I think that friendships via cyberspace is nice when you are bored or would like discuss and share common interest.